Goals & Model
Build a Personal Support Network for College Success
As a result of participation in the Scholars Program, students will be able to identify, select, and access personally relevant campus resources and develop a personal support network.
— Co-Curricular Services and Programming
— Proactive Listening
— Increase Student Engagement
— Support Academic Success & Collaborative Learning
— Close the Achievement Gap
Foster an Inclusive Community of Scholars
As a result of participating in the Scholars Program, students will be able to develop a sense of belonging as members of a community of Scholars.
— Live & Learn Together
— Engage with Diverse & Global Communities
— Demonstrate Leadership & Service
Develop Knowledge and Skills for Lifelong Success
As a result of participation in the Scholars Program, students will develop knowledge, skills, and competencies for lifelong personal and professional success.
— Foster Career Development & Industry Partnerships
— Encourage Creativity & Problem Solving
— Engage in Personal Growth & Reflection
The Cal Poly Scholars program seeks to support Cal Poly students from enrollment through to graduation. Our program model is divided to meet the specific needs of Year 1 & 2 students, and Year 3+ students.
Year 1 & 2 Model
- Student academic achievement is supported by the core team of advisors, with emphasis from the Cal Poly Scholars Coordinator and the Mustang Success Center Advisor.
- Workshops and development opportunities focus on building skills for college success, such as using Poly Planner and P.A.S.S., tips for course registration, financial aid information, study skills, transfer credit, and clubs and resources around campus.
- Student community and program engagement are encouraged through the living-learning community and on-campus housing. Workshops and social events are provided in the Cal Poly Scholars residential areas and students are encouraged to live and learn together.
Year 3 & 4 Model
- Student academic achievement is supported by the core team of advisors, with emphasis from the academic advisors in the student’s college and major.
- Workshops and development opportunities focus on building skills for career and lifelong success, such as building leadership, service to community, identifying personal strengths and areas for growth, networking, and career planning.
- Student community and program engagement are encouraged through service, mentorship, and outreach to young scholars. Cal Poly Scholars are asked to attend the fall Welcome Dinner to greet new Scholars and to offer to serve as mentors to young Scholars in the same field of study. Cal Poly Scholars are also asked to participate in the Hometown Heroes program to support outreach and recruitment at their former high school.